Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 7: The Human Centipede (First Sequence) (2009)

I decided to end my first week with a film I've been wanting to see for months now, ever since the trailer was making its rounds on the Internet (in case you haven't seen it, go watch it first).
A couple months ago I had just finished watching The Room with some friends, and the following day I had a conversation with my brother:
Me: You should rent The Room and watch it with your friends. It's probably the worst movie ever made. It's awesome!
Brother: Uhh... why would I want to watch a terrible movie?
Me: Because it's awesome!
Brother: Right... anyways, have you heard of The Human Centipede? That trailer is the only film any of my friends talk about.
Well, I had heard of THC before, but I was kinda surprised that my brother wanted to see it, so with that conversation in mind, and considering he was over last night, it just made sense. With that we sat down to watch this "100% medically accurate" horrorfest.

This is not really a film that can be commented on without ruining the plot (though the trailer does that already), so I'm not going to try and avoid spoilers. To be honest, my main desire to watch the film was to see how the human centipede actor's acted, as it must be one of the worst acting jobs ever. The film took the first half of the film getting to the surgery, and by taking its sweet time it was just teasing the viewer. Tom Six, the director, knows that everyone just wants the centipede to be made, and so he delays it as long as possible. Is the viewer's anticipation to see the surgery happen a comment on our desire for horror and the grotesque? It reminded me to an extent to Funny Games, in which the director is playing with our desires of what we want to see. The fact that the acting is nothing to write home about, aside from Dieter Laser as the Doctor who just radiates creepiness from his first scene, does not well the waiting. Once the centipede procedure happens, it becomes a typical horror film attempt to escape for the centipede, and here the film drags along for a bit, but the finale brings the film back to life, and ends with a rather shocking scene. Considering that this film was made to prepare audiences for The Human Centipede (Full Sequence), the film does not end with an obvious plot from which to form a sequel off of, which surprised me. I am rather confused how a sequel will emerge from this film, but I am anticipating it as much, if not more, than this film.

After watching the trailer I assume almost everyone will quickly decide if they want to watch this film or not, as you would either be intrigued or disgusted. Most people I've shown the trailer to have been the latter and stare baffled at me asking why would I ever want to watch this. Aside from general curiosity, I wanted to know if the film could rise above its concept, as it is one thing to have an idea for a creepy film, it is another to carry it through. Thankfully The Human Centipede manages to carry the film above its concept, though just barely, being saved by the performance of the doctor and the subtle variations on conventional horror films. For a film in which two of the main actors stop speaking half way through (you can imagine why), and one only speaks German, the Doctor is left to carry the audience through the film in his German accented English, and he does it rather effectively.

The film, obviously, has many plot holes, and while I'm not sure how legitimate the tagline ("100% medically accurate") is, especially considering the sequel's tagline is 100% medically INaccurate, these are above beside the point, as the same could be said for any horror film. The film presented a new, unique, and grotesque idea for the horror genre and managed to carry the concept into reality - that is noteworthy in and of itself. If when you watched the trailer you were intrigued, you'll probably enjoy the film. If you were disgusted by the trailer, you'll probably just be furthered disgusted by the film.

1 comment:

  1. I watched this the other day too! It made me so nauseous, but it was epic anyway. Wasn't particularly groundbreaking or anything, but I thought it was well shot, well acted (re: the doctor), and the suspense was INSANE!

    ReplyDelete