Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day 34: The Trotsky (2009)

I already saw this film once this year, actually 3 days before I started this project, but my brother and friend both wanted to see it, and I was eager to see it again.

Leon Bronstein, a Montreal high school student, believes that he is the reincarnation of Leon Trotsky. He believes in the ideals of Trotsky, and starts to fight for a student union in his high school. A fantastically-funny Canadian film! I loved this film. One of my favourite films in a long time. The film appealed to me for numerous reasons: it's Canadian, it's a teen film (personal interest), it has the awesome Jay Baruchel, and it's about Trotsky. Truly demonstrates that Canada can produce humorous intelligent well-shot and well-produced films.

The humour is a bit broad, in that it helps to know a bit about Russian history, but the humour works. It doesn't resort to too many high school cliches - just enough to stay within the genre. The film is intelligent enough to be approachable by both youth and adults. My only real problem with the film is it's double use of the Odessa step sequence. The first time it's funny in a tongue-in-cheek way, but the second time is a bit much. For those in the audience with no understand of the Odessa steps will be even more in the dark.

The film deals with an issue, in my opinion of somewhat serious concern: are teenagers today just bored or apathetic? And, whichever it is, what's the solution? Leon seems to have the answer: just believe in something, anything, and pursue it. It doesn't have to be as ridiculous and as absurd as believing you are the reincarnation of Trotsky, but believe in something and do it. Just don't be apathetic. I think that's a message we can all stand behind.

Also, on a side note, I do would like a shirt that says "Dwight, are you my Stalin?"

2 comments:

  1. Why didn't you write anything about the Trotsky? All I see is a picture...

    ReplyDelete
  2. in my opinion, the movie totally missed out on actually tackling an oft neglected but hugely pertinent teen related issue - how the identity you create for yourself in high school (the guy who likes movies, the girl who's into science, the guy who's a reincarnation of Trotsky) affects and/or limits what you want and what you're actually able to achieve. No one really knows what they want, but everyone pretends to, and those 'delusions' actually affect your life in many ways. Total lost opportunity.

    ReplyDelete