Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day 14: Robin Hood (2010)

The problem with seeing so many movies in theaters, is that when you're out with a friend and they want to see a movie you are usually left with the films you have intentionally not seen. Last night this was the case, and we opted for Robin Hood. I had not actively not seen it prior, I just had no real desire to do so. Though I'm glad we saw this over Killers or SATC2.

I hadn't read much on the film seeing that it's called Robin Hood, I figured I had a general gist of what the film was about. I was somewhat surprised that the film dealt with the legend of Robin before he was the legend, a prequel of sorts to all the other Robin Hood stories. Due to this, we are entertained by battle scenes and ambushes in which Robin does most of his fighting hand-to-hand with swords. There is only two or three scenes in which Robin demonstrates his amazing bow skills, which was disappointing - isn't that what you expect from a Robin Hood film? To make a Robin Hood film as high tech and well funded as this one and not demonstrate some amazing arrow shots? I was rather disappointed.

The film was long at a running time of 140 minutes, and with a handful of scenes with slow pacing this could easily been cut to below 2 hours. The pacing of the film overall felt choppy - switching from short (and not nearly enough) scenes of action to slow paced romance ones. That being said, I enjoyed the story, particularly since it was part of the legend that I had not previously seen on film. While I was hoping for a Ridley Scott/Russel Crowe approach on the classic story of Robin Hood, I guess I'll need to wait for the sequel that I'm sure we will one day see.

No comments:

Post a Comment