Thursday, June 24, 2010

Day 29: True Romance (1993)

I'm somewhat ashamed to say I've never seen this movie before. I've had a copy for quite some time now, having picked it up used at a video store years ago. My main interest in it was that it was the only film Quentin Tarantino had written that I hadn't yet seen. Glad I finally got around to watching it, it's a shame it took me so long.

With one of the most misleading titles of all time, this was a fantastic action film. Not sure if the romance between Alabama, a new call girl, and Clarence, a Elvis fanatic comic-shop-employee, is ever true, but it sure is filled with violence. While the film requires one to turn off your brain, and bask in the glorified violence, sex and cliches that fill the screen; and that's exactly what makes the film so good. The dialogue is undeniably Tarantino, and provides some excellent scenes - in particular the scene between Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken. Filled with some excellent actors in small parts like Brad Pitt as a pothead and Samuel L. Jackson as a gangster, the film encapsulates the 90's action film perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment