Monday, August 30, 2010

Day 96: The Little Shop of Horrors (1960)

I picked this film up a while ago, and when I sat down to watch it, I was confused by the black and white. I kept watching, figuring it was a film technique and would switch to colour at some key point. When it kept playing in black and white, and when Rick Moranis never appeared, I paused the film and went on IMDB.com. To my surprise, I had picked up the original film, of which I didn't know existed, and not the 1986 remake I was expecting. Nonetheless, I sat back down and finished the film.

Mushnick's is a florist on skid-row, and business is doing terrible. When the cleaning boy Seymour says he's developed a new flower, Mushnicks instructs him to bring it in in an attempt to encourage people to visit the store. Seymour discovers that the plant needs blood to survive, he supplies it with some of his own, but soon discovers it's not enough to quench it's thirst.

The film is a b-movie from the 1960s about a man-eating plant, that is surprisingly funny. Shot in only two-days, the film is aided by its silly script and its tongue-in-cheek tone. Not a horror-film at all, but a funny b-movie that can't be taken too seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment