Saturday, August 21, 2010

Day 87: Charade (1963)

Trying to find a movie that my parents and I can watch together is always a challenge. They rarely, if ever, go to the theatre, so they rent films. Any new blockbuster releases they have any interest in seeing, I've already seen in theatres. They usually have no interest in foreign or indie films, so usually I've forced to re-watch something I've already seen unless I can find a suitable older film. Suitable usually entails finding something that has actors they recognize in it. So when I picked this up on Criterion a few weeks ago, I figured it would probably pass the test since it had Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, and Walter Matthau in it.

Regina (Audrey Hepburn) has decided she is going to divorce her husband, but while away on a ski vacation with her sister, her husband sells everything they own and flees. He turns up dead, but with no sign of the money. The CIA question Regina about the money and ask her to find it for them - it seems the money was stolen from the Americans in WW2. Soon after, Regina runs into three men who are all after the money as well. Regina is aided by Peter Joshua (Cary Grant) who offers to help Regina, but who might have ulterior motives of his own.

I was quite surprised. This is one of the funniest romantic-comedy-thrillers I have seen. A film with great direction, Stanley Donen (Singin' in the Rain), with two great classic actors both as excellent as always, one of the best comedic actors ever (Matthau), and a well written script that is a delight from start to finish with enough red herrings and false clues that keeps you guessing from start to finish. Truly a film unlike anything they make today. If I didn't know otherwise, I'd swear Hitchcock had something to do with this film - it's such a perfect example of mixing comedy, romance and thriller that he was known for. The film is perfect all around. I can't believe it's not better known.

No comments:

Post a Comment