Sunday, August 15, 2010

Day 81: Mad Max (1979)

A film classic that I, for some reason, had never gotten around to seeing. I went to the video store to rent it, and in my lack of knowledge on the film, rented Road Warrior, which is in fact the sequel, so I had to go back and get the original.

Set "a few years from now" in a dystopic Australia, biker gangs rule the highways and towns, and a small police force try to keep the peace. Mad Max (Mel Gibson) gets frustrated with the lack of authority in the system and takes a vacation with his family, but when bikers kill his wife and baby he seeks out revenge. Filmed in Australia, starring the then unknown Mel Gibson, for only $350,000 this film has taken on a cult status.

I hate to say this, but I really didn't enjoy it. It was boring, pointless, and illogical. Maybe I'm missing out on something obvious, but to me it was one of the most boring films I've seen in a long time. I'm highly debating if I even want to bother watching Road Warrior now. Can anyone explain to me the appeal of this movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment