Monday, August 2, 2010

Day 68: The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010)

I've often been criticized for liking everything when it comes to movies, and while that's hardly true, I do enjoy a wide range of films. I don't expect the same thing from all movies. I expect a lot more from a classic film, then from a summer blockbuster. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy both. Most films can be enjoyed in some way. If a film provides a form of escapism for a few hours and doesn't bore you, it's done its job. Great films will do a lot more than this, but a good film only has to cause enjoyment. I wanted to see The Sorcerer's Apprentice because it looked fun, and because it starred Jay Baruchel, of whom I am a fan, and Nicholas Cage, who despite what a lot of people say I rather enjoy. Maybe I have bad taste, but so be it.

Balthazar Blake (Cage) was one of three apprentice's of Merlin, and he has spent the last 1300 years searching for the Prime Merlinian - the person who will take Merlin's place. This person is Dave (Baruchel) in modern day NYC. Balthazar must train Dave to become the Sorcerer he is meant to be in order to defeat Morganas and save the world. Considering this is a Disney movie (based loosely on a scene from Fantasia which is reenacted in the film) the outcome of the movie can be predicted by pretty much everyone. Despite being predictable and somewhat childish, it appealed to my inner child and I left the theater grinning.

No comments:

Post a Comment