Saturday, August 7, 2010

Day 73: Che: Part One (2008)

I've been wanting to see this for some time. It didn't come to Kingston sadly. I was in London where it was showing, but by then they were only showing part two and not part one, so I missed it there too. When I found out Criterion was releasing it, I decided to wait for their release. I ordered the Criterion release through the local video store in Kingston, but when it arrived weeks later it was the non-Criterion release (which I don't understand why anyone would buy when a Criterion edition exists), so I didn't get it and waited. I finally managed to pick it up a few weeks ago at the Barnes & Noble Criterion sale.

Che is a well known pop icon, but how many people know who he actually was? As a history student, I studied Che briefly, but never in great depth. For this reason I was interested in seeing this biopic, especially considering it was directed by Soderbergh.

The first film (The Argentine) focuses on his role in the revolution in Cuba. The film portrays Che as a revolutionary fighter, a doctor, and a social philosopher. The film is fast paced, and intercuts scenes from an Interview done in New York and a speech to the UN following Castro's rise to power with the progression of the revolution in Cuba. The film demonstrates how an Argentinian doctor became one of the leading figures in Cuba’s struggle for independence. I found the first film to be a lot faster paced and flowed better. The acting, especially Benicio Del Toro as Che, was superb. Whether you know anything about Che or not, the film is well worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment