Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 75: Hausu / House (1977)

When this title was announced as part of Criterion's fall lineup, I was intrigued. I'd never heard of it, so I looked it up, and my interest was piqued. Coincidentally, my local indie-film house was screening the film, and I managed to even score two free tickets through Twitter. So I got to see the film before the Criterion release, though the print I saw was not in the best of shape, and I'm hoping for a better quality one on the Criterion version.

I'm at a loss of words on how to properly describe this film. One of the headlines at the local theatre at which I saw it read simply "WTF," and this encapsulates my feeling exactly. The film follows the horror film narrative style, but is hardly scary. It is more of a comedy, but even it doesn't fall into that category easily.

The basic premise is that a group of girls visit one of the girl's Aunt over a break from school. Upon arriving at the house, weird things start to happen, and the girls start disappearing one by one. It turns out that the Aunt is dead and that the house is haunted. This plot synopsis, while accurate, does not even begin to explain the film. Each scene is filled with absurdities, randomness, and humour. The film defies comparison, and needs to be seen to understand. I can say, rather affirmatively, that you have not seen a film like this before, and it's one you should check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment