Saturday, July 24, 2010

Day 59: Thirteen (2003)

Ever since I started this project, I've been asking people for film recommendations. One friend, Mal, suggested this one, citing it as one of her favourite films.

In a tale based loosely on the real life events of Nikki Reed's life, the film focuses on the relationship between a thirteen-year-old, Tracy, and her mother which is exasperated by Tracey's new relationship with the most popular girl in school, Evie. Evie introduces Tracy to drugs, sex, and petty crimes, turning her from the bookworm into a rebellious youth.

The film chronicles Tracy's quick spiral from "normal" to rebellious, and presents a horrific depiction of teenage life. What what might be called a version of Kids for our generation, the film attempts to demonstrate the pressures put on teenagers of our generation - including mass culture's depiction of beauty, separated families, society's pressure to have money, and most of all - peer pressure.

I wouldn't say the film is enjoyable, because that's not the right word. The film is good, and powerful - even hard to watch at times - but it is so because of it's depiction of the perils of teenagers. There is great acting by both Nikki Reed and Evan Rachel Wood, and the performances take this film from being a bad high-school instructional film and turn it into a powerful film.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh just seeing the poster makes me want to watch it over and over!!! I won't hate you if you don't like this movie, but I think it's fucking FANTASTIC! Top three for sure ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looooove :)

    ps. I have a sneaking suspicion that you toned down your criticisms for this one on my behalf, and if that is the case then you rock ;) ... I get heartbroken when people hate on my favs! :P

    ReplyDelete