Thursday, July 15, 2010

Day 50: Jamaica Inn (1939)

Hitchcock's last British film.

Set in Cornwall around 1880, a woman moves to live with her aunt and uncle following her mother's death. When she arrives at Jamaica Inn, in her uncle and aunt own, she discoveres a local gang that uses the Inn as a hideout. The gang causes ships to wreck on the shore before killing any survivors and ransacking their cargo.

I have a confession to make: I feel asleep four times during this film. Each time I woke up, I went back to the last part of the film I remember seeing and continued watching. All to say, I found the film very boring. Hitchcock said that this was his most unhappy directing job, and he did it hurriedly in order to be able to get to Hollywood. Apparently Hitchcock was hesitant to shot this film, but agreed to shoot it since he wanted to shot another Daphne Du Maurier story, Rebecca, which was his first Hollywood film that is often considered one of his best films, so I guess if this bland film was required for Rebecca to be made, it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment