Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 53: Life of Brian (1979)

I've always been a huge Monty Python fan, having seen both other movies and most of the TV episodes, but for some reason, I had only ever seen parts of Life of Brian before. I picked it up on Criterion last year, but still never got around to watching it. Glad to finally change that.

Only Monty Python could create a film a film considered to be so "blasphemous" and get away with it. The film centres around Brian, who was born on the original Christmas in the a barn right next to Jesus, and spends the remainder of his life being mistaken for the messiah. The film provides Monty Python with the change to poke fun of not only religion, but also life in the first century. Like any MP film, or sketch, the humour is absurd, silly, over the top, and slapstick and it is funny! Monty Python considered this their best film, and John Cleese called it their masterpiece. Proving a great example of satire, the film does what Monty Python does best - it makes you laugh. I'm disappointed I put off watching this film as long as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment