Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day 48: Despicable Me (2010)

I'm a big fan of animated films, and usually end up seeing them in theaters, and this was no exception.

Gru, an evil mastermind, is struggling to compete with the newer, younger mastermind, Vector. When Vector steals a shrink-ray that Gru wanted, he adopts three orphans to help him with his plan, but they grow on him, and change him. A funny film that appeals to both children and adults. Gru is hardly as despicable as the title would suggest, and the film manages to deal quite well with his transformation from villainous to likable protagonist. The closest animated film that comes to mind is The Grinch, in that both start off being villainous heartless creatures who experience a change of heart through the goodness of others.

The 3D was a bit gimmicky, as it always is, and I really wish it would stop being used already. This film actually used for a roller coaster ride! I hate roller coasters, and found myself looking away from the screen during the 3D parts. I can handle the camera shaking of Blair Witch and Cloverfield, but I can't handle 3D animated roller coasters. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment