Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 47: Beetle Juice (1988)

As a kid I used to watch the Beetle Juice cartoon all the time, and at some point in my childhood I watched the film, though now I have no recollection of my thoughts at the time. Seeing as I didn't remember it, and as it was Tim Burton, I figured it deserved another viewing.

A young couple dies and try to learn what it means to be die, while attempting to scare away the new owners of their house. They turn to a bio-exorcist, Beetle Juice, to help them. By far, the most bizarre and surreal of Tim Burton's films. Despite being the title character, Beetle Juice appears in less then 20 minutes of the film, with the film focusing more on Adam and Barbara's attempt to scare off the family instead. Tim Burton's style becomes quite evident with the scenes in the afterlife and with how Adam and Barbara attempt to "scare" away the unwanted guests.

The most interesting thing, at least to me, is that the film isn't really about anything at all. I mean, sure it's about scaring off the family, but it's really just a springboard for the jokes and claymation and stylistic nature envisioned by Burton. Micheal Keaton is great as Beetle Juice, and this combined with Tim Burton's style makes for an enjoyable film that's worth the watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment