Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day 98: The Paper Chase (1973)

I have just moved to Windsor to attend law school. One of my friends, Hayley, got me this movie as a house-warming present. She said every law student should see it before they start law school to scare them. I asked my parents if they had seen it, as they are both lawyers, and they said that everyone who went to law school used to watch it, and that at Queen's law they would play it during orientation. Not sure how I hadn't heard of it, but it was a considerate gift, and how could I not watch a film about a first year law student when I am about to embark on the same path. I was planning on waiting until the day before classes started, but I was too eager to see it and couldn't wait.

The film is indeed about the hardships of first year law at Harvard law school. It's also about love, and possibly how difficult it is to have both in first year law. The film centres around Hart, a first year law student, and as he attempts to make it through his first year he falls for Susan. Susan just happens to be the daughter of Kingsfield, the hardest prof at the law school who teaches Contracts. Hart, therefore, attempts to balance his relationship with Susan, his schoolwork, and to foster a relationship with Kingsfield, who seemingly never remembers his name.

The film is a slowly-paced drama with occasional humour. The long shots and slow progression of the film add to the otherwise simple, and perhaps a bit contrived, story. The film lacks any real emotional intensity, Hart's passion for both law school and for Susan seem unmotivated. Though, this may be intentional as a reflection of the cloistered and cerebral nature of law school. The true emotion of the film is seen in Hart's attempt to gain the respect of Kingsfield, a man who never smiles and whose live evolves around law. Kingsfield, played by Houseman, provides most of the humour in the film with his great dialogue.

As far as scaring me for law school, it did to a degree. I seriously hope I don't need to hole up in a hotel for three days to study for my finals - especially not with a suitcase full of notes. From what I've been told this film is a rather accurate depiction, though perhaps a bit extreme, of first year law, and so that is a bit daunting. I expect a year from now I'll watch this again, and have a complete different take on it. For now, I am eager to start my own legal education, and hope that it's somewhat less stressful than Hart's, though I wouldn't mind getting his final grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment