Saturday, September 4, 2010

Day 101: The American (2010)

After a week in my apartment alone, I decided to get out and what better place to go then to check out the local movie theatre. As far as I could tell, the closest theatre to me was a 30-minute walk. It is a small theatre, with only 4 screens. The only film playing that I hadn't already seen was The American, so my choice was made for me. I walked there, and took my seat. The theatre, both the building and my screening room, were empty. I have often gone to see movies by myself, but it's also odd to be the only person in the theatre. By the time the movie started, there was about 6 other people in the theatre. I'm not sure if that was a reflection of the average Saturday night film attendance in Windsor, or this particular movie. It was nice to get out of the apartment, and I'm staked out the closest movie theatre. As long as they get good films on release dates, it should work out. My next goal is to find a decent video rental store.

After a week of not much else aside from Hitchcock thrillers, The American seems to fit in very well. The American is a slow thriller that builds the tension slowly, arguably too slowly, to a very obvious and predictable outcome that causes the tension to fall flat. Jack (Clooney) is an assassin who wants to retire, but is being chased by some unknown Swedes. His handler advises him to hide out in a small Italian city under the name Edward. While he hides out, he is commissioned for one last job - to construct a custom rifle for a fellow assassin. During his stay, he befriends the local priest and falls in love with a prostitute.

This is a thriller about an assassin with no thrill or action. The film is slow paced and short on dialogue. The audience is presented with shots of the Italian hillsides, of Clooney driving through said hillsides, of Clooney walking the winding streets of Italain towns, of Clooney working out, and of Clooney working on his rifle. People who enjoy watching Clooney as eye-candy will probably enjoy the film for that reason alone. Not only does the film not provide much dialogue, it never answers any of the multiple questions it raises. We are never given any information into Jack's background, we don't know who he works for, we don't know whose trying to kill him, and we don't know why he wants out. All in all, we don't know anything, which leaves me wondering why we should care. If you're interested in a existential examination of an assassin at the end of his game starring an often shirtless Clooney, you'll find what you're looking for. As much as I wanted to like the film, and as much as I understood what the film was trying to do, I failed to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment