Monday, September 6, 2010

Day 103: De fem benspænd / The Five Obstructions (2003)

My brother recommended this film to me last year, and I picked it up, but like so many other films it sat on my shelf unwatched. It is films like this that make me glad this project of mine is making me watch films that I have and have never seen. I should have watched this film last year as soon as I heard of it, I'm an idiot for waiting this long to see it.

There is something charming and enchanting about this film. Granted, this film is not for everyone, but for someone who loves film, for someone who enjoys watching film being made, and for someone who enjoys watching things being reinvented than you'll enjoy the film. The premise is simple: Lars von Trier, a Danish filmmaker, asks Jørgen Leth, his mentor of sorts, to remake The Perfect Human, one of Leth's first films five times. Trier will create obstacles, or obstructions, for each remake. The film is composed of documentary scenes showing Trier and Leth discussing the project and the obstructions before and after each film is shown. As a side note, The Perfect Human is never shown in its entirety; it is shown in parts throughout however. As it is on the DVD as an extra, it might be a good idea to watch it first.

This game between Trier and Leth is fascinating to watch, as are the productions of the obstructions. It's hard to explain the joy that comes from watching these two obviously very friendly and passionate filmmakers joke and play around with each other. I don't want to spoil any of the obstructions, only to say they get better with each one. It's an amazing film, and well worth the time to see it. My only complaint is I wish that the DVD included each of the obstructions in their entirety separate from the film. A truly wonderful, and refreshing, documentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment